The Shallow Tales Review opens submissions for november issue
The Shallow Tales Review, a literary publication dedicated to works that resonate with the African sensibility, has officially opened its submissions window for the November edition. Writers, poets and artists are invited to submit their creative pieces in various forms, including fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, one-act plays, cultural and social essays, art photographs, and translations.
The editorial team at The Shallow Tales Review emphasises the importance of modernity in submitted works, defining “modern” as books published within the last 10 years. They encourage authors to approach their themes logically and clearly in essays, and they appreciate genre-breaking and innovative approaches to storytelling and art.
However, it’s essential to note that The Shallow Tales Review does not publish horror, sci-fi, travelogues, or sociological pieces without a literary aspect. Exceptions may be made for exceptionally outstanding pieces that reflect the African or human condition.
While the publication does not currently offer monetary compensation to contributors, it does nominate selected works for prestigious awards such as the AKO Caine Prize for African Writing and the Best of a Shallow Year award.
Authors interested in submitting their work should adhere to the following guidelines:
– Submissions should be sent via email to the corresponding address for each genre (firstname.lastname@example.org for poetry, email@example.com for essays and creative nonfiction, and firstname.lastname@example.org for fiction, plays, art, and photography). Use “TSTR Submissions” in the subject line.
– Non-artwork entries should be between 1,500 and 4,000 words in .doc or .docx format.
– Poetry submissions should not exceed forty (40) lines per poem, and a maximum of three poetry entries is accepted at a time.
– Only previously unpublished works will be considered.
– Reprints are not allowed, and contributors should inform the editorial team if their piece is under consideration elsewhere. All intellectual rights revert to the authors.
– Files should be saved with the title of the work, and for a body of poems, with the first poem in the file.
– The Shallow Tales Review aims to respond promptly after reviewing submissions.
It’s important to note that the publication accepts only one body of work in a specific genre at a time. If your work is rejected within a submission window, you are welcome to resubmit in another issue.
Selected pieces may undergo revisions recommended by the assigned editors before publication, and these revisions are provided free of charge to enhance the quality of the work.
The Shallow Tales Review publishes three times a year, with issues releasing in January, June, and November. The current submissions window for the November issue is open from October 1st to October 31st. Feedback for submissions will be provided by November 10th, and the publication is scheduled for release on November 30th.
Writers and artists eager to contribute to this literary platform are encouraged to prepare their submissions in line with the outlined guidelines and seize the opportunity to share their creative voices with a wider audience.